Saturday, November 21, 2009

Driving in France - Part I

Ah, the joys of driving in France. After over 15 years of driving in the US, I miss our wonderful American streets laid out perfectly like grids. Signs that say exactly what you can do. Parking lots! Intersections that are two perfect streets happily crossing into a little "t". Maybe this isn't the case in New York or Chicago, but in cities where things are master-planned, you can practically drive without thinking. To drive in France you must be alert at all times, like a soldier prepared for an attack! And legally, you must take driving lessons and learn their rules called "le code." Unlike our written driving test, the French test needs lots of preparation. In fact, you will need several months worth of intense studying and re-setting your mind from practical to impractical, from common sense, to dangerous. And passing the practical driving test successfully is in another league all together.

If you are lucky enough to come from what is called a "reciprocating" state, you have a full year to exchange your US license for a French one. Unfortunately, I did not come from one of these states. Not only did I need to enroll for the driving "code", but I needed to learn how to drive a stick shift car as automatic cars in France are made for the handicapped. And, I am not joking in the least. I found a school nearby my apartment and was extremely motivated because not only would I be getting my license, I would also be able to drive a stick. The driving school was tiny, it had enough room in the front for two chairs where you sit when you sign all the paper work.

My teacher, nicknamed "Boo Boo," was a Moroccan man by origin. He had long yellow beaver-like teeth, pocked skin and was balding though he was under 40 years old. For my first lesson, I waited in one of the two chairs for almost 15 minutes. Then, he told me to get into his car. We did one loop around the neighborhood, then he had me park on the side of the street while he went into his office to make phone calls. My task was to memorize the placement of first, second, third and fourth gear while idiotically pumping the clutch in and out smoothly. I remind you, this was in a parked car on the side of the road, the engine was off. My class which should have been one hour, was barely 40 minutes. After 15 minutes of gear shifting by myself, he got back into the car and made me demonstrate to him how much I had learned. Then, he let me drive a little. I was so nervous but feeling courageous and excited too. I drove for about 10 minutes and then he asked me to park in front of the school and that concluded our first lesson.

No comments: